Your first year anniversary with your one and only is about reflecting on your first year of marriage and growth as a couple. It calls for a joyful celebration. My husband and I planned our dream trip to the Maldives and envisioned ourselves surrendering to the sand and beach, making magic memories that will last a lifetime.
After years of being an ‘over-packer’, I had decided to pack light, much lighter this time. After all, we were only going to be in the Maldives for 4 nights, what could possibly go wrong?
Day 1: With a spring in each step, we spent the day exploring the island. We swam in the crystal clear waters, marveling at the colourful display of sealife.
Day 2-4: The grand tour of the bathroom became a daily activity of our ultimate dream holiday. The gastro bug became our new ‘travel friend’ and insisted on staying with us.
I quickly learnt that my new approach to travel by packing light and ‘living in the moment’ was not such a good idea.
Here’s what I learnt:
- Talk to your travel pharmacist or doctor at least 6 weeks before you travel to get the right advice to stay healthy on your holiday. If you take any medications or have any medical conditions, it is important to know what your health risks are and how best to travel.
- Start preparing your body for travel by boosting your immune system weeks before you leave for your destination. This will help reduce your risk of catching a cold or stomach bug and help you recover quicker if you do get sick. You can strengthen your immune system by:
- Taking a probiotic at least 2 weeks before travelling
- Supplement or eat vitamin C rich foods eg. berries
- Stay hydrated
- Ensure you have medications for common travel ailments and carry enough to cover you for at least a few days. This helps:
- Avoid having to shop around for a pharmacy or doctor.
- You have the confidence in knowing what you are taking instead of taking the wrong medication that could also interact with your other medications. It also avoids you having to guess what you are taking or spend time finding someone to interpret for you.
- You are able to treat yourself FAST and be back on your feet again to enjoy the rest of your trip.
My approach now to traveling is to be well prepared so you can truly live in the moment.
Our pharmacy specialises in travel. Get in touch with our travel pharmacist to make planning for you holiday and health easy.
Written by Susan Nguyen (Pharmacist)